The Heart Outside of Yourself


This mid winter I started to explore paper cutting and blogged about my first Valentines.  I have continued to make new paper cuts and this is the first that I have incorporated into an encaustic piece.
  
When I had my first child, someone said to me, "Now a piece of your heart will always be outside of yourself - out in the world".  That sentiment inspired this piece.


At first, it was just going to be a mother holding the strings tethered to her heart.  The attack on our city of Boston reminded me of how fragile those strings are.  The world is full of sharp objects but I won't change how I live my life.  I will protect and hold onto those strings making memories every day because tomorrow things could be different.



4 comments:

Vintage by Crystal said...

Wow Amy what a beautiful piece!! The meaning behind it is just as beautiful...those scissors better stay put! The paper cut ones...not your real ones. Love love where you're going with the paper cuts...so delicate and intriguing. Can't wait to see more! :) Hope all is well over there in Boston!

Bumble Belly Designs said...

Thank you Crystal! It means so much coming from someone so talented :)

Lori Pedrick said...

So beautiful Amy. What a wonderfully creative family you are. I'm so lucky to be able to experience your work with you. Thank you for sharing and inspiring.

Bumble Belly Designs said...

Thank you Lori. I love following your travels and seeing your beautiful boy as he grows. He's a sweetie. It seems like yesterday that my Ben was just like him. Now he's almost eye to eye with me! :)